Monday, April 28, 2008

Kim's turn

I wanted to put in my two cents about Saturday's activities.

First, let me just say that going into this race I was decidedly done running. I had forgotten about how awful it is! To train, all I did was run laps around the track all by myself. It got pretty boring and old after a while. But when I got to the race, I had so much fun! The competition is what I really miss about running. This time, I didn't really try to pass anyone or really compete too much, I mostly focused on my goals, which were:

1. No walking!
2. Finish under 30 minutes

3. Place in the top 3 in my age group (20-24)
As race day got closer and closer, I was seriously doubting whether or not I would be able to accomplish these, especially the 3rd one.

Well, I did it! Almost-

I had a time of 27:55, I didnt walk at all , and I placed 4th in my age group (so close!). Yay! I was so happy- I remembered why I love to run. I definitely want to do more 5k's in the future.


Plus, it was really fun to see Denise and co. there. Good job Denise! You were awesome.

Later that day though...I kinda felt like my acheivement was pretty wimpy.

We went to the High School State tennis tournament later that day (which was fun! theres some really good players!) which is way out in Glendale. On the way home, after being out in the sun all day with 2 cranky kids, our tire tread fell off...as we were racing down the freeway. Eek!

Luckily, it didn't completely blowout, that would have been awful. We were able to make it safely to the side of the road, and then to a gas station to assess the damage, and then to a Sears tire shop nearby.

As we were waiting for our 4 new tires (they were all in pretty bad shape!) on tv there was a show about the Ironman competition that went on that same day in Tempe.

In case you dont know, an Ironman consists of a 2.4 mile swim (in this case it was in Tempe Town lake- ew!), then a 112 mile bike ride, then a 26.2 mile run.

Am I the only one to think this is just crazy?!
A marathon is one thing, but to tack it on after biking 112 miles, oh wow.

So, my 3.2 miles didn't seem as impressive anymore, to say the least. :)



But I'm glad I did it anyway!

And Finally, here are a couple pictures just to make your day go better!

Isn't she just the cutest thing you've ever seen?

I may be a little biased :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

WTG Kimmy! That's awesome! Question: do your knees hurt after running? I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my knees really kill after I've run on the treadmill for awhile. Hmmmm... Emily is sooo cute. Getting excited to see you guys!!

The Higham Family said...

Yeah, my kness do bother me a bit too. There were times in high school where I had to ice them, but now its not too bad. I dont know what I'm doing wrong either! Its probably just in our genes.

Richard and Tiffany said...

She is SO CUTE!! I love the picture in pink!! Good luck with your move, that's really exciting, a new chapter in your life!! We'll miss you here in AZ too!!